ALESS BOARD MEETING MINUTES

Participants:

Kevin Schiller (KS), Nicole Schiller (NS), Richard Johnson (RJ), Doug Loughran (DL), Simon Wallis (SW)

Location:

753 – 8th Avenue NW, Nakusp, BC, V0G 1R0

Date and Time:

Saturday 3 March 2018, 1.40 pm to 3 pm PST.

Minutes:

1. Meeting opened: 1.40 pm (proposed-KS, seconded-SW).
2. RJ to become an Acting Director of ALESS (proposed-KS, seconded-SW). This status will be updated to full Director at the next ALESS Annual General Meeting, date yet to be determined.
3. RJ presentation:
⦁ Grants: the Community Initiatives and Affected Areas Program (CI-AAP) Applications are due by the end of February 2018. RJ has filed two Application, on behalf of ALESS, that meets this deadline, in the sum of $7K in total (covering – water stream sampling, map printing, mileage for sample team, a modest sum for sample team involvement, analytical reagents for water testing by the sample team, water samples analysis at external contract analytical laboratories, a colour laser printer and toner).
1 ALESS need to develop a 5 year strategic plan. RJ made an application to the CBT Non-profit Support Program for assistance in developing a plan.
2 Watershed Planning Team (WPT) to be initiated. ALESS will call a meeting to do this. KS
4. 3 Initial projects to be suggested at the meeting for discussion by the stakeholders.
5. Eagle Creek, Edgewood), an ONA project: KS has indicated an interest in ALESS involvement.
6. Gerry N: available for telephone support, but will not be attending future WPTM meetings unless need be.
7. ONA: Lisa Wilson is to visit Nakusp in April to meet with ALESS members.
8. RDCK (Paul Peterson): provided funds in the amount of $2558.02 for the ALESS purchase of a projector and a laptop computer. ALESS to send an official thank you to Paul P (KS/NS).
9. Laura Duncan has previously given permission to ALESS via Richard Johnson, allowing ALESS to use the water testing equipment for as long as need be. RJ has confirmed.
10. RJ will request electronic copies of historic ALESS water sampling/results data from Laura D.
11. Forestry has agreed to provide, free of charge, some useful maps to ALESS: Kuskanax to Edgewood (part of the ALESS area Galena Bay to Castelgar). KS handling.
12. Central Kootenay Invasive Species (CKISS): currently conducting a razor clam study in the Valley during 2018, KS asked members if they were interested in helping if the opportunity arises.
13. New Societies Act: ALESS has to ‘transition to new act. We should pass new bylaws at next AGM. RJ will work with NS and KS to prepare them for the AGM.
14. The next Watershed Planning Team meeting is proposed to be Wednesday 28 Match 2018, at 1-3pm, Selkirk College
15. Meeting closed 3pm (proposed-KS, seconded-SW).

Advertisements

Public Information Meeting REF WPT / SWAP Presentation Nakusp 25 Jan 2018

IMG_2325

 

Introduction (10:30)

  • Kevin Schiller
  • Gerry Nellestijn

 

Attendees Introductions

Megan Chadwick – BC Hydro

Jerry Van Immerzeel – ATV Club

Jen Walker-Larsen – BC Hydro

Angus Glass – FWCP

Christine Nickol – MOTI

Kevin Schiller – ALESS

Doug Walkrin – ALESS

Simon Wallis – ALESS

Kristen Murphy – MFLNRO

Donald Kirk – Woodlot 406 owner

Ron Palmer – Interfor

Cam Leitch – Forester – Forest Practices Board

Frances Swan – Nakusp and Area Community Forest Inc.

Richard Johnson – SWAMP

Tessa Terbasket – ONA

Lisa Wilson – ONA

Michael Zimmer – ONA

Presentations (10:45)

Gerry Nellestijn

  • Thank REF
  • WPT / SWAP overview

 

Francis Swan (11:35)

  • Nakusp & Area Community Forest (2013) Inc.
  • NACFOR is owned by Nakusp
  • NACFOR is managed by True North Forestry Consulting Ltd
  • Mission Statement: “Balance economic, ecological and social concerns in a manner that optimizes benefits for both the local and global community“
  • *Potential: fire management, hydrology modelling, climate change issues

Ron Palmer (11:47)

  • Interfor Planning
  • *Potential: fish enhancement to road / bridge building, high value BT areas, prescribed burning (for habitat restoration), climate change research with UBC

 

Richard Johnson (12:00)

  • SWAMP
  • ~$300,000 on mapping wetlands
  • Wetland mapping training offered
  • Working on standardized benthic invertebrate assessments in stagnant water
  • Rare and listed species assessments
  • Pubic outreach
  • *Potential: wetland assessment / monitoring, bats, mammals, plants, birds

Lunch (12:15)

 

Presentations Cont. (13:00)

Angus Glass (13:00)

  • FWCP Overview
  • $9.4 million for 2017-18
  • Enhance Fish & Wildlife in dam impacted watershed
  • Priorities: (1) Riparian, (2) Restoration, (3) North Columbia
  • Community Engagement Grants ($1000), no deadline – more funding in Apr 2018
  • Currently updating action plans – will ask the public what is needed
  • *Potential: public input into updating action plans

 

Lisa Wilson / Tessa Terbasket (13:15)

Sylix Water Responsibility Informing Watershed Planning

  • The Sylix Water Declaration
  • How to see TEK methodology to inform Watershed Planning
  • Sylix Water “Responsibility” and Planning methodology (rather than “management”)
  • Incorporating tangible and intangible values; TEK mapping
  • Consider what your underlying VALUES are (underlying all planning)
  • Look into “Facilitation Language” to handle misalignments
    • Territories, varying underlying values
  • How to evaluate the success of the plan

 

Michael Zimmer (13:36)

  • Technical Projects

 

Discussion (13:45)

  • Lisa Wilson: Recommend looking at discussion points rather than looking at the matrix
  • Simon Wallis: There is quite a lot of common ground between stakeholders matrix important

 

SWAP Matrix Walkthrough (13:55)

Discussion (14:15)

  • Kristin Murphy: Does ALESS have stated objectives?
  • Kevin Schiller We build that together the Matrix holds it
  • Christine Nickol: I need to know what ALESS objectives are so that I can figure out what FLNRO can bring to the table.
  • Kevin Schiller: Sustainable fish & wildlife numbers, ecosystems, wetlands; water is number 1 (protection, caring)
  • Richard Johnson: Maybe ONA and ALESS can come together and figure out something and bring it back to other stakeholders.
  • Lisa Wilson: We need to go into this with eyes wide open. This idea will attract more and more people to the table.
  • Kristin Murphy: So Kevin if you could make a organizational document…
  • Lisa Wilson: Next step would be a visioning exercise.
  • Frances Swan: I’m not clear on the governance structure of ALESS or their operating boundary.
  • Kevin Schiller: Shelter Bay – Galena Bay ferry to Hugh Keenleyside Dam, to the high point of land
  • Angus Glass: Gerry do you have any advice for how ALESS could look at their operating boundary? It is not a nice, distinct watershed
  • Gerry Nellestijn: The scope Kevin identified is fine butt start with a smaller high value watershed like Mosquito Cr./other.
  • Christine Nickol: Do an inventory of projects that are already being / have been done. Use active organizations to get in on work. Lisa Wilson mentioned earlier that ONA had done that already.
  • Kristin Murphy: A Water Licence Requirements Specialist from BC Hydro may have a list of all current working projects
  • Frances Swan: It would be VERY valuable to collect all relevant historic and current data before beginning
  • Christine Nickol: E.g. EcoCat

End (15:50)

Actions:

Distribute ALESS governance docs to Mtg attendees.

Distribute Mtg. notes.

Develop ONA/ALESS co- coordination approach of next steps.

ALESS General Meeting

Date: Friday December 15, 2017
Call to order: 2:03 PM

In Attendance: Doug Lofgren, Linda Harrington, Simon Wallis, Michael Le Couteur, Kevin Schiller, Nicole Schiller

Bear proof bin acquisition progress discussion: Kevin has discussed with YRB and they do not have funds to support project. Need to explore getting permission to place bins should we come up with the funds. RDCK (Paul Pederson) has been approached, was advised to write a letter to RDCK with our proposal. Discussed possibility of applying for grant from CBT Spring grant intake. Source out and cost bins so that letters can be written.

Holmberg wetland discussion: update – CBT portion of grant application has been rejected. Project may have to be downsized if donations / funding money can’t be found.

Arrow Lakes watershed planning meeting Discussion and update: Meeting in December with the stakeholders was well received by those in attendance. Seven individual stakeholder groups are in support. Next step is to develop the steering committee. ALESS (Kevin) to begin planning second community meeting.

Website Discussion: Michael awaiting okay to publish updated watershed planning meeting info.

Fundraising brainstorming: Meat draw at the legion fundraiser suggested. “Go fund me” site. Pay Pal account setup for website? Create calendar as advertisement or fundraising? Michael to look into…

Michael also to investigate what the legion has to rent out as far as equipment / tent / table for toad fest 2018

Michael moves to adjourn meeting. Simon seconds.

Meeting adjourned at 3:07 PM

ALESS Watershed Management Plan Meeting.

ALESS, in welcome collaboration with Gerry Nellestijn and Eleanor Duishuis, of the Salmo Watershed Stream keeper’s Society, recently held a watershed planning meeting at the Senior’s Hall in Nakusp (5 December, 1 to 4pm), to present our organizations to a number of major stakeholders operating within the ALESS proposed jurisdictional area (Galena Bay south to Castelgar, incorporating the adjacent valleys with tributaries feeding into the Arrow Lakes region).ALESS

A total of 15 individuals attended the session, including representatives from 6 of the major local stakeholders, all of whom actively and positively supported our proposed activities.

Look forward to a new and invigorated ALESS, working with local groups in a non-confrontational approach, to identify and address pressing ecosystems concerns in our local area! We are all bound to Nature in a very real and immediate sense, respectful of the need for positive action in protecting and enhancing our total living environment for all life within our biosphere.

We encourage all interested parties and individuals to provide input via our website. This is crucial to ensure that everyone with an interest in their local living environment has an equal chance to present their thoughts and aspirations!

General Meeting

There was a general meeting held October 28th, 2017 at 2:00 pm.

Call to order:  2:10 pm.

Members present- Kevin Schiller, Nicole Schiller, Doug Lofgren, Simon Wallis, John Poirier and Caryl Jones.

Grant discussion:  Changes to the grant application decision from last time.  Agreed to go forth applying for grants.  All in favour. Discussed grants to be applied for.

Discussed Watershed management plan development.

YRB (Yellowhead Road & Bridge) Bear proof garbage cans update:  Kevin to continue talks with Bart re bear proof garbage cans.  More to follow.

Kevin expressed a desire to work further with Box Lake wetland after CBWN (Columbia Basin Watershed Network) wetland day in October.  Concerns for painted turtle inhabitants.

Website discussed.

Columbia River Treaty discussed re water fluctuations impacts.

CBWN water monitoring data hub discussion by Simon.  Information provided to new members John and Caryl.

There being nothing more of relevance to discuss – meeting adjourned at 3:13 pm.